Follow my blog with bloglovin´

Follow vapor of color

25.6.08

How to Make your own fringe tee shirt!

A week ago I was spending the day with my cousin and out of boredom we decided to buy a pack of mens tees. The projects got to grand for the small supply of sewing material we had in the hotel so i just carried the project home. The result was Two fringed Tee's similar to the one Agatha of style bytes (my she R.I.P) made.
They are fairly basic. here is what you shall need.
1) 1 1/3 mens tee shirts (whatever size you want, but this shield will look better if it is more fitted than not)
2) scissors
3) a sewing machine (or, of you really wanted to, you could sew it by hand) and some thread

1) Take 1 tee and lay it flat
Cut a strip through both layers of cloth, from the bottom of the shirt to the top, and as wide as you want the fringe to be long + an inch for seam.

2) Now lay this double layer of cloth out flat (you might want to pin it so the layers stay together) and cut fringes all along one side. They should be wider the a finger width so they don't rip easily but not to wide. Remember to not cut through the last inch of the strip (which is seam allowance... and you don't want a hundred separate strips of cloth)


(Here is a wonderfully helpful picture, clearly showing artistic talent... I apologize).
3) Cut down each side of your 2nd tee shirt, from the bottom of the arm hole to the bottom of the shirt. this is where your fringe will be.

4) Now turn the shirt inside out

5) Pin the fringe in between the two sides of the shirt. The fringe should be inside the shirt, so when you turn the shirt right side out the fringe will on the outside and the seams will be on the inside.

now sew back up each side of tee shirt with the fringe in it (you wil be sewing thru 3 layers of fabric), turn the shirt right side out and HURRA now you have a cooly fringe-y tee shirt. If you want to you can dye it or draw on it or embellish it. There are basically endless possibilities, but I just left mine plane.


I have also been skinning some old pants and hemming dresses.... I believe that if I actually mended and fixed all the clothes that are in my to-mend-and-fix-pile I would double my wardrobe. And oh I went to a theater sale where they were selling old costumes and fabric and got the most perfect drop waist dress ever, as well as some other beauties, all for a total of $5!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did something similar to this except i didn't use extra cloth. All i did was cut the hem on the sides, cut the sides into strips, and then tied it. I love your idea too. Though yours ended up looking nicer. :)

Hello

My photo
She was the child of a story, and reality did not exist for her

Search This Blog

Followers

Labels

thank you for reading